Friday, July 30, 2010

Same Structure

Just in case you are worried I am "emaciated," the word both Emily D and Becca used, fear not. I am exactly the same weight, exactly, as I was two months ago. My body's much stronger and my legs are much hairier, but really I look the same.

I do eat more, like a lot more. They say hikers use about 6,000 calories a day. That roughly translates to: Pre-breakfast, Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Lunch, Ice Cream/Cookies, Snack, Dinner, Dessert. Good thing I LOVE food.

On the trail, I'm usually eating:
oatmeal
pita bread
chocolate
peanutbutter
trailmix
tuna
hummus
ramen noodles
black bean soup
clif bars
snickers
vegetarian chili
split pea soup
and an assortment of Mountain House freeze-dried dinners

I also carry spices--cinnamon, salt, pepper, oregano, curry powder, turmeric--in little plastic button bags. Even with spices though, trail food gets boring. Thus, combinations of the above items (ramen noodle-oatmeal, hummus-tuna) provide interesting, if questionable variety.

Anyway, food is well and good, and my body is healthy and happy, and for that, I can't be grateful enough.

Love,
N.P.

1 comment:

  1. After witnessing you devour those two (almost three) ice cream cones, any worry I might have had instantly dissipated!

    ReplyDelete